FIREHOUSE CHRISTMAS FUN —Over 100 kids brought their parents to visit Santa at the Roxbury Firehouse on Saturday including Trevor, Derek, and Jordan Fronckowiak. Photos were taken by Catskill Images and refreshments were abundant. Fire Chief Allen Hinkley was so impressed with the turnout that he decided to make it an annual event. Planning for next year is already in the works. — Photo by Jill Ribich, Catskill Images
Rev. James J. McDevitt, the former priest at the Sacred Heart Parish in Margaretville, appeared briefly in the Town of Middletown Justice Court Thursday morning. McDevitt is currently facing charges of sexual misconduct for incidents that allegedly occurred during his time at the parish. McDevitt appeared with his newly appointed attorney, Paul Gruner, who requested a 30-day adjournment to familiarize himself with the case.
Margaretville — “A Year Down Yonder,” in this new comedy premiering at The Open Eye Theater, 960 Main Street, Margaretville on Thursday, April 8 at 7 p.m. The year is 1937, and Mary Alice Dowdel’s father has lost his job.
Margaretville — It’s National Library Week, April 11 through 17, a time to celebrate the contributions of libraries, librarians and library workers in schools, campuses and communities nationwide. The Fairview Public Library in Margaretville is celebrating National Library Week by giving away a free book to card-holding patrons who visit the library during the celebration.
A statewide burning ban is in effect through May 14 due to the increased wild fire risk, the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) reminds the public. Spring has become a prime season for brush fires and the total burning ban went into effect last month.
By Julia Green
Following an announcement by Gov. David A. Paterson last week, the state has delayed $2.1 billion in school aid payments that were scheduled to be made April 1. The announcement came following a failed attempt between Paterson and the state legislature to agree on a budget for the fiscal year that began April 1.
By Brian Sweeney and Julia Green
A proposal to allow Andes students to join the Margaretville boys’ varsity soccer and basketball teams next year is the subject of a public meeting on Wednesday, April 7 at 7:15 p.m. in MCS Board Room.
The plan is being presented as a means of allowing Andes students to participate in varsity athletics during the 2010-11 season. Because of low enrollment, ACS officials do not anticipate being able to field boys’ teams next year for soccer or basketball.
By Jay Braman Jr.
Routine testing of water in the Esopus Creek allegedly shows that septic systems belonging to residents of the Hamlet of Phoenicia might be polluting the creek’s water, according to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) which conducted the test.
Water from the Esopus Creek flows into the Ashokan Reservoir, which serves as a drinking water source for residents in the New York City area.
By Jay Braman Jr.
The fourth-annual Belleayre Mountain Hall of Fame celebration was held in the ski center’s main lodge Saturday evening. The Belleayre Mountain Hall of Fame was created in 2006 to honor individuals who have contributed in extraordinary ways to Belleayre Mountain, the surrounding Catskill Region, and to the athletic discipline of snow sports.
By Julia Green
A civil lawsuit has been filed against Father James J. McDevitt, former pastor at the Sacred Heart Catholic Parish in Margaretville, and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany in connection with the alleged abuse by McDevitt of a number of area boys.
The suit, which seeks unspecified damages, was filed with the Supreme Court of the State of New York in Delaware County. The lawsuit claims negligence on the part of the diocese for not preventing McDevitt from allegedly engaging in misconduct with males between the ages of 11 and 19.
By Brian Sweeney
An unoccupied seasonal home on Denver-Vega Road in the Town of Roxbury was destroyed by fire early Thursday morning. The home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene, according to Roxbury Fire Chief Jim Bouton.