Why rebuild anything at all?

in

To The Editor:
I read with interest, and much alarm, Mr. Jeffers letter to the editor of August 22 questioning the need to rebuild the Swart Street bridge.

As the person who lives right next to the bridge and has been negotiating Jersey barriers since Memorial Day weekend to get in and out of my driveway, I’ve tried to separate my personal response from one of more community concern.

If Mr. Jeffers had walked down Swart Street he would have noted that the problem not only involves a condemned bridge but also a large sink hole approximately three feet in diameter in the middle of the street that continues to erode. One can peer down into it and see the Bull Run flowing.

I’ve also queried the village maintenance department about potential problems with plowing Swart Street in winter, which they agreed was going to present challenges. And I know that Major Stanton is very concerned about fire protection being compromised.

It is my opinion that this unplanned “water feature” and driving and snow challenges present not only a significant inconvenience and possible danger to Swart Street residents, but also has a negative impact on the property values on the east end of Swart Street.

I fully support revitalization and beautification programs in all ways. However, it is my understanding that 75 percent of the funding for the Swart Street bridge is coming from FEMA and is specifically designated for this purpose alone. The remaining 25 percent is coming from the State of New York. The rebuilding of the bridge will not take money from other village projects or create a village taxpayer burden

My community concern involves infrastructure and the need for every place that people call home from hamlets to metropolises to maintain and hopefully improve their decaying infrastructures.
The village board and the local chamber of commerce are committed to creating healthy and vital communities. Health involves flow of energy and traffic and ease of movement, not blockades and barriers. And I personally find the sight of blockades depressing.

Although Mr. Jeffers calls a road to nowhere a “cul de sac,” I call it a Dead End!

Gail Lennstrom,
Margaretville