Tinker's village complex falls to fire


By Brian Sweeney
An early Tuesday morning fire destroyed an multi-use commercial building just east of Arkville.
The fire at the Tinker’s Village complex was discovered about 4 a.m. by a passing motorist. By the time the alarm sounded, the building was fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters from Margaretville, Arkville, Fleischmanns, Halcottsville and Big Indian responded to the scene, but there was no chance to save the old wooden structure.

The building had been utilized for a number businesses over the years and was currently an antique shop. A used car lot had also recently been established adjacent to the building.
Investigators from the Delaware County Arson Task Force were on the scene shortly after dawn, but said it was too early to determine a cause for the blaze.

The building is owned by Sharon Forsman of Denver and her sister, Isabelle Rogers.
Reached for comment, Mrs. Forsman stated, “We are terribly thrilled that no one was injured in this fire, thrilled that there was no loss of life. But saddened at the loss of the building. It contained a great history and many memories. But these things are replaceable.

“Our future plans are uncertain at the moment but as soon as time allows we are going to remediate the property — not leaving it scarred but made beautiful once again!”