SK boys top RCS in league opener

By John Bernhardt
“Here we go again,” had to be running through the minds of the South Kortright and Roxbury boys’ soccer teams as they squared off for Monday’s Delaware League opener in Roxbury. The two teams had battled in the championship game of Stamford’s Mayor’s Cup on Saturday. The Rams scored two goals in the last 10 minutes to win the title, 3-1, then pushed past the Rockets, 4-1, on Monday night.

SK dominated play in the early going of Saturday’s title game, but neither team could find the nets. The Rams kept Roxbury goalie Derek Cowan busy during the first 20 minutes of the game, but Cowan was up to the challenge, diving to snuff out several promising SK chances.

Senior Sage Beemer ignited an SK scoring volley with less than 14 minutes to play in the half by directing a long through ball to open space down the right wing. Griffin Metzko ran the ball down and sent a perfect cross that Anthony Salcido headed into the goal.

The Rams outshot Roxbury 12-4 during the half, but Roxbury struck gold on their final chance of the half. Dan Menne won a foot race with SK goalie Brandon Tuttle, chasing down a Nick Hamill through ball. Menne headed the high bouncing ball off Tuttle’s hands. When the ball skipped past Tuttle, Menne carried the ball forward for the score.

Menne’s goal was a confidence booster as the Rockets picked up their play in the second half. The teams battled evenly for most of the half. It was South Kortright’s Cody Burns who broke the tie with less than 10 minutes to play. Burns secured a ball in the left corner and fired a bullet toward the goal. Cowan seemed to have the shot lined up, but the ball deflected off a Roxbury defender, changed direction and found the nets for the score.

Trevor Holdridge wrapped things up for SK four minutes later. Holdridge was awarded a direct kick over 30 yards from the goal. The junior midfielder lofted a high strike that deflected off Cowan’s outstretched hands into the goal.

Monday the script was the same in Roxbury. SK carried a one-goal lead into halftime, then pulled away late in the game. As they had in Stamford, four different players scored for SK. Trevor Holdridge, Jesse Boest, Griffin Metzko, and Cody Stinson all scored for SK.
Kyle Ciaravino netted a lone goal for Roxbury midway through the second half.

Roxbury Blanks Jefferson
When the goals finally came, they came in bunches. The Roxbury girls’ soccer team scored only one goal in their first two Mayor’s Cup contests. The Rockets erupted scoring five times as they blanked Jefferson in Saturday’s fifth-place game.

Alyce McIntosh opened the scoring at 32:20 of the first half. McIntosh’s goal was assisted by Kennedy Faraci, the first of four Faraci assists in the game. Bailey O’Donnell converted a Kaeli Van-Loan pass to add to the score 7 minutes later.

O’Donnell had a huge game for Roxbury, scoring three times. Cristina Chiarappa scored the final Roxbury goal.

Lady Rockets Battle SK to 1-1 Tie
South Kortright used a one-touch passing game to pile up the shooting opportunities against Roxbury in Monday’s Delaware League opener. But, at the end of the day, after 100 minutes of soccer action, the Rams and the Rockets would finish deadlocked at 1-1.

Play was concentrated in the midfield during the first 20 minutes. SK’s Kelsey Little and Roxbury’s Christina Chiarrapa were the nerve centers of their team’s offensive efforts directing play from the middle of the field.

After several promising Rams’ scoring opportunities failed to result in a goal, the Rams took a 1-0 lead. A wild scrum 25 yards to the left of the goal pulled Roxbury goalie Lisa Boyke out of the crease. The ball squirted out of the scrum to the right and was settled by Burkley Cole. Cole lifted a shot over Boyke’s head directed towards the far pole. It was a race between the Roxbury goalie and the ball, with Boyke sliding to get there first. Boyke’s valiant attempt was foiled when her momentum carried her over the goal line for the SK score.

Roxbury evened things up late in the first half. Roxbury’s Marissa Green and SK’s Rebecca Johnson pin balled the ball back and forth near the right wing. The ball popped loose and headed toward the 18-yard line in the middle of the field. SK goalie Kayla Craft raced forward and tried to clear the loose ball. Craft’s clear deflected off a charging Bailey O’Donnell. O’Donnell streaked past the SK goalie, and carried the ball untouched into the nets to tie the score.
Neither team could find the nets in the second half, the contest ending in a 1-1 tie.

Blue Devils Energy Supply Runs Dry
Like the aftershocks of an earthquake, the after effects of Tropical Storm Irene could still be felt on the soccer field in Stamford on Monday night. Irene damaged Margaretville’s home playing fields and robbed the boys and girls soccer team of valuable preseason practice time. Adding to the Blue Devils’ challenge, Monday’s contest was Margaretville’s first of the year. Their opponents were playing for the fourth time.

Knowing her team would be energy challenged, Margaretville coach Toni Smith hoped the Blue Devils would get on the scoreboard early and often. The Blue Devils had numerous opportunities, sometimes taking point blank shots at the goal but failed to score. In fact, Stamford’s goalie, Frankelley Santiago and sweeper Diedre Hill, were the busiest players on the field for much of the half. The Indians’ duo turned in a spirited effort turning the Blue Devil offense away.

Stamford struck with lightning like speed late in the half. Erin Hull drove the ball deep down the right wing, lifting a perfect cross finding Kim Freer. Freer took the ball one-on-one at the goal, driving a hard shot to the back of the nets for the game’s first score.

Elia Tanzer unveiled some impressive offensive play in her first varsity game for Margaretville. Tanzer is fast with terrific foot skills and penetrated the ball deep in to Stamford’s territory several times during the contest. When Santiago bobbled a shot midway through the final half Tanzer was there, driving the loose ball past the goalie for the score.

With 10 minutes to play in the game, it was almost as if the Blue Devils were running on fumes. Stamford fired away at the Margaretville goal at will during the closing minutes of regulation time, but Meghan McKenna turned in several brilliant saves to keep the Indians away.

Stamford overran the Blue Devils during the extra periods, out shooting Margaretville, 11-1. Ironically, Margaretville’s one shot was a score. Once again, Tanzer was in the thick of the scoring drive. The freshmen striker threaded a pass from the right wing, finding Tess Svoboda in the middle of the field. Svoboda sidestepped around Hill and drove the ball through the seam at Santiago. Svoboda’s hard shot skidded past Santiago for a goal.

Margaretville’s enthusiasm ebbed quickly in the second overtime. Freer tied the game with 8:27 to go. Morgan Boyle hit the game winner, a high shot that sailed through McKenna’s hands 30 seconds later. Stamford’s scored again when Hull drove one-on-one on McKenna. The Margaretville goalie attempted a sliding save but the ball squeezed out of her hands, and Hull capitalized.

Margaretville plays at South Kortright on Wednesday. The Blue Devils will play in the opening round of the Downsville Tournament of Friday.

Margaretville Game Suspended in Stamford
It’s been an out of kilter, off beam start to the soccer season for the Margaretville boys. First it was Tropical Storm Irene turning their home field into Lake Margaretville. The Blue Devils did not play the first three games on their schedule, practiced outdoors only once or twice in nearly two weeks, and are bracing themselves for a possible season with no home games. Monday’s opener in Stamford added one more item to Margaretville’s list of soccer oddities.

The Blue Devils trailed Stamford 1- 0 as time was running out in the first half when two players, Margaretville’s Sean Gauntt and Stamford’s Charlie Deitrich, collided near midfield as they contended a head ball. Deitrich suffered an apparent head injury on the play. Emergency personnel were summoned and play was suspended. Dietrich was transported by helicopter to Albany Medical Center but, according to Stamford Central School officials, he was not admitted. No report of his condition was available Tuesday morning.

The game will be replayed on a yet-to-be determined date.

Morales Stars for Mohawk Valley
Abraham Morales built a reputation for excellent soccer during his high school career at Margaretville. The highly skilled midfielder was an offensive catalyst capable of scoring from near and far but more noted for setting his teammates up to score.

This fall Morales took his game to Mohawk Valley Community College. The MV freshman had his game in full gear as MV visited SUNY Delhi last week. Morales scored a goal and recorded an assist when Mohawk Valley toppled Alfred State 5-1 in tournament play. Both the goal and the assist came off corner kicks.

Several former MCS teammates and fans attended the game to cheer on Morales.