Roxbury Constable recovering from stroke

By Pauline Liu
 Town of Roxbury Constable Steve Williamson is on the mend at Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown, after suffering a stroke on Sunday.

Contacted at his hospital room on Tuesday, the 63-year-old Williamson spoke slowly, but clearly and confirmed that he had suffered a stroke.

“I’m feeling better,” he said. “My doctors arrived just now, so I have to go.” Within 24 hours of his arrival at the hospital, his condition was upgraded to “fair.” Friends close to the family said Williamson received  a battery of tests on Tuesday, including an MRI.

His wife, Patricia, as well as some of his children and friends, have been at his bedside. They said he is looking forward to returning home soon.  “I have been to see him and he is recovering very well!” his daughter, Jaime Mcvitty, wrote in an email.” I miss him so much, but he will be home maybe sometime tomorrow. He’s a great father and a great papa cop ( that’s what my kids call him, I think its cute). Again, he’s doing very, very well.”

Williamson, who has served as Roxbury’s constable for 32 years, was airlifted from Grand Gorge on Sunday afternoon. His boss and friend, Roxbury Town Supervisor Tom Hynes saw Williamson a few hours before he fell ill. 

“He usually goes to church on Sunday and I had breakfast with him,” Hynes recalled. “Then he did some things, ran some errands and drove home. When he got home, his wife realized there was something wrong, so she called 911. He was airlifted from Grand Gorge around 1 p.m.”       

Word about Williamson being flown to the hospital spread quickly through the community. In the confusion, some people in Roxbury mistakenly believed that the constable had passed away, bringing to mind the famous Mark Twain quote,
“The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.” Fortunately, the rumors couldn’t be further from the truth. “I hear he’s getting a lot better,” said Supervisor Hynes. 

Those close to Williamson feel it’s too soon to discuss his return to the job.  Known for his dedication, he was injured on the job several years ago, after being thrown from his horse. A search of the News’ archives shows numerous articles detailing high profile local cases in which Williamson was credited with either making an arrest or assisting in one. While his arrests have included  a number of arson and robbery suspects, one of his most famous collars involved the capture of an elusive, orphaned buffalo calf in New Kingston on June 23, 2008. The calf had been roaming the countryside with law enforcement officers hot on his trail. The young buffalo startled guests staying at a resort off county Route 6.  Williamson even crawled on his hands and knees for half an hour to approach the calf.