Margaretville parade on July 7 among commemorative highlights
The Margaretville Fire Department will celebrate its 125 anniversary with a series commemorative events, including a parade along Margaretville’s Main Street on Saturday, July 7 starting at 11 a.m.
Gordy McMurray, an MFD member for 52+ years, will be King of the Parade. A special float carrying past fire chiefs will include Bob Lange and Robert Hunt, who are coming back to the area to visit for the occasion.
Another float will be populated by children of firefighters. There will a float featured members of the MFD Ladies’ Auxiliary and a number of other themed floats from area organizations.
More than 30 fire departments from Delaware County will be represented in the parade, as well as several fire departments from out of the area.
All classic car owners are welcome to show up with their vehicles and join in the fun. A truck and apparatus display will be held from noon-4 p.m. after Saturday’s parade.
A Classic Car Club Show on Friday, July 6 at 6 p.m. in the village park will also be part of the anniversary celebration. The 125th anniversary celebration will be part of the festivities throughout the Margaretville Firemen’s Field Days, which run from July 3-8 at the village park.
Local historian and Past MFD Chief George Hendricks recalled that the “carnival” had its orgins in the 1950s. Back in the old days, the firemen put on their own rides and made their own games for visitors to enjoy.
It was 1963 when the department first hired a company to bring a full-fledged carnival to town, complete with thrilling rides and many games of chance. The Margaretville carnival has become an integral part of the summer entertainment season, drawing thousands of visitors from near and far. The two nights of fireworks are always the busiest times at the carnival.
The Margaretville Firemen’s Carnival promises some special treats as the department commemorates its 125th anniverary. The carnival offers a variety of fun for the whole family, including:
• The carnival will open at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and will open at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
• Giant fireworks displays on Wednesday, July 4 at 9:45 p.m. and Saturday, July 7 at 10:30 p.m.
• Pay One Price ride specials will be offered on Wednesday and Saturday from 1-5 p.m., Thursday from 6-10 p.m. and Sunday from 1-6 p.m.
• The MFD will hold chicken barbecues on Wednesday, beginning at noon until sold out. Another chicken barbecue will be held on Saturday with sittings at noon and 5 p.m.
• Musical entertainment on Wednesday will feature two popular local bands - Country Express from 7-11 p.m. and Detour on Saturday from 8 p.m.-midnight.
• Midway shows by Gillette will be featured daily, along with an assortment of games and irresistible carnival culinary delights.