Illinois woman dies after fall from Arkville bridge abutment

By Julia Green
A 26-year-old Illinois woman died at approximately 10:30 Monday night after she apparently fell 12 to 15 feet off a railroad bridge abutment just east of Arkville and landed on rocks alongside the Bushkill stream. Killed in the accident was Lynne N. Jaeger of Caseyville, Illinois.
Deputies from the Delaware County Sheriff’s Department responded Monday night to a 911 call to assist members of the Arkville Fire Department and Margaretville Memorial Hospital Ambulance personnel with the victim of a fall at the old railroad bridge located just west of the intersection of state Highway 28 and Elliot Hill Road in Arkville.
Jaeger, who was reportedly with her husband, Kevin, 28, and two friends, Matthew Jankowski, 26, of Hurley and an unidentified woman, was administered first aid at the scene by Arkville Firemen and then transported to Margaretville Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead by Delaware County Medical Examiner Dr. Richard J. Ucci.
According to the Delaware County Undersheriff Doug Vredenburgh, Kevin Jaeger had roots in Hurley and was familiar with the area having visited here a number of times as a teenager. The party of Jaeger and his wife and Jankowski and his friend were reportedly on their way to visit the maize on the nearby Erpf estate when they stopped off at the old railroad bridge. According to Vredenburgh the accident happened when Jaeger attempted to hoist herself up onto the bridge abutment from behind and propelled herself over it and fell onto the rocks below where she suffered massive head trauma and died instantly.
Vredenburgh went on to say that the party was carrying three flashlights but that the deceased was not carrying one of them.
According to a press release issued by the sheriff’s department, Jankowski and the unidentified woman made the 911 call from a nearby residence on Route 28.
An autopsy to determine the exact cause of death was to be performed yesterday at Lourdes Hospital in Johnson City. No funeral details were available at the News’ deadline yesterday evening.