History marked at New Kingston event
New Kingston — The Historical Society of the Town of Middletown and the New Kingston Valley Association unveiled a historic marker near the post office in the hamlet of New Kingston on Sunday.
Fran Faulkner, longtime executive committee member of the historical society, former postmaster and “unofficial mayor” of New Kingston, unveiled the marker with her grandson, Brian Faulkner.
Former New Kingston resident Bill Birns, a retired teacher, spoke following the unveiling of the marker to the assembled audience of more than 60 people.
The hamlet of New Kingston was named to the state and national Registers of Historic Places in 2007. New Kingston got its name following Chancellor Robert Livingston’s 1782 donation deed of a 5,000-acre tract in the valley to the homeless citizens of the City of Kingston after the city was burned by the British during the Revolutionary War. Fifty-acre parcels were given to 100 displaced families, though neither the 1790 nor 1800 federal census data showed that they took the lots. Some of their descendants, however, ultimately transplanted to the New Kingston valley.
The hamlet became a trading and service community for the many farms that were established in the valley and today is home to the last three remaining dairy farms in the Town of Middletown.
The New Kingston historic marker is the third such marker installed by the Historical Society of the Town of Middletown; plans are in the works for a fourth to be installed in the Village of Margaretville.
The area surrounding the marker was landscaped by Harley Jenkins Landscaping and his crew.