Couple's death investigated by county sheriff

The Ulster County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a Shokan couple, possibly due to carbon monoxide poisioning from an electric generator, according to a release.

The deceased are James Stapleford, 75, and Eva C. Stapleford, both of Black Road, Shokan.
Sheriff’s deputies said their office received a call about 7 p.m. Monday from a daughter in Pennsylvania who had been unable to reach her parents.

A Town of Olive Police Officer who arrived on the scene found that the residence was without power, but power to the rest of the neighborhood had been restored, deputies said.

The body of James Stapleford was found in the basement level, garage portion of the house. A portable gasoline powered generator was inside the garage with extension cords running to the home’s electric panel and to other items within the residence, deputies said.

The release stated, “preliminary investigation tends to suggest that Mr. Stapleford’s death may have been related to carbon monoxide poisoning, but the matter is under investigation.”
The body of Mrs. Stapleford was found at the bottom of the basement stairs and investigators concluded she may have fallen while attempting to locate her husband.