Area Police News: Oct. 14, 2009

State police arrested Fleischmanns resident Betsy L. Peters, 27, last Tuesday on a bench warrant issued by the Town of Roxbury Court for failure to appear. She was released on $250 bail to reappear on November 2.

Hobart resident Melvin L. Burgher, 37, was arrested Thursday and charged with a DWI after he was pulled over in the Town of Kortright for failing to dim his headlights. Police say Burgher then turned without signaling and struck a retention wall on his property, where the vehicle came to a stop. He was subsequently administered standard field sobriety tests, which police say he failed, and was then transported to the Margaretville police station, where he allegedly submitted to a breath sample that indicated a .21 percent BAC. He was arraigned in the Town of Stamford and released on recognizance to reappear on October 13.

Delaware County Sheriff’s Deputies arrested and charged two Stamford residents with third-degree arson on Thursday. East Meredith residents Donald J. “D.J.” Aitken, 21, and Cody D. Fancher, 17, were arrested, joining 24-year-old Timothy L. Haner and 18-year-old Ashley R. Mason as suspects in the April 16 arson fire at an unoccupied farmhouse on Chambers Hollow Road in the Town of Hamden. An investigation also allegedly revealed that Aitken and Fancher are allegedly responsible for the September 30- October 1 burglary at the Town of Meredith Highway Depart-ment garage and the theft of gasoline from that location. Deputies with the Sheriff’s Office anticipate that additional charges will be filed at the conclusion of the investigation and review by the Delaware County District Attorney’s Office. Haner and Mason were arraigned in the Town of Delhi Court on Thursday evening. Haner was remanded to the Delaware County Jail in lieu of $15,000 cash bail; Mason was released on her own recognizance. The investigation is ongoing; the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office continues to seek additional information, and encourages anyone with information to contact the office at 607 746-2336.

Daniel T. Maxim, 20, of Arkville, was arrested Saturday after police say they observed him driving in the Village of Margaretville with a known revoked driver’s license. Upon entering the vehicle, police say they noticed an odor of marijuana and subsequently found marijuana in the center console. Maxim was arrested and transported to the Margaretville police station. He was issued an appearance ticket for criminal possession of marijuana and uniform traffic tickets for third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation and unlicensed operation. He is to reappear in the Town of Middletown on Oct. 19.

Police arrested two men following a traffic stop initiated after the vehicle in which they were traveling was said to have been seen speeding. Schenectady resident Anthony Best, 46, was arraigned in the Town of Roxbury Court Sunday for second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, speeding, and unlicensed operation. He pled guilty and was sentenced to 15 days in the Delaware County Jail and a $450 fine. His passenger, Scott Boissy, 44, of Preston Hollow, was issued a uniform traffic ticket for facilitated aggravated unlicensed operation, returnable to the Town of Roxbury Court on October 26.

Shandaken Police reported a personal injury auto accident that happened on Route 28 in Big Indian on Saturday. They say a 1996 driven by Gus Daphnis was traveling westbound when the vehicle left the roadway and struck a concrete wall on the west shoulder. The passenger, Helen Daphnis, suffered a compound fracture to her right arm and possible head injuries; she was transported to Saint Francis Hospital where she was listed in stable condition. The driver was uninjured. Shandaken Police were assisted by Shandaken Ambulance, Big Indian Fire Department, and Pine Hill Fire Department.

Shandaken Police report the arrest Tuesday of Shawn R, Wilber, 17, of Phoenicia.
Wilber was charged with menacing and harassment after he got into a verbal altercation with another man at the Town of Shandaken highway garage and allegedly threatened him with a hammer. Wilber was issued appearance tickets returnable in Town of Shandaken Justice Court where an order of protection will be issued for the alleged victim.